DAT News & Blogs
5 Markets with the Most Reefer Loads
Trucking Business Owner
Become A Successful Dispatcher – Click Here
Reefer volumes crested a couple of weeks ago. Volumes held mostly steady last week, but rates slipped slightly. The focus is shifting to cross-border traffic and Mexican produce. Harvests are mostly done for the season in the Upper Midwest.
Darker-colored states have higher load-to-truck ratios, meaning that there’s less competition for reefer loads in those states.
TOP MARKETS FOR REEFER LOAD POSTS
- Twin Falls, ID
- Grand Rapids, MI
Rates below include fuel surcharges and are based on real transactions between carriers and brokers.
- Mexican produce led to more loads and higher rates in Nogales, AZ, and McAllen, TX
- Volumes were also up in Dallas and Ontario, CA, but rates hadn’t responded yet
- Several lanes heading into Denver paid better
- Sacramento to Denver rose ▲20¢ to $2.15/mile
- Fresno to Denver was up ▲14¢ for an average of $2.24/mile
- Chicago to Denver also gained ▲14¢ at $2.24/mile
- Elizabeth, NJ to Atlanta was another lane that added ▲14¢, to $1.78/mile, to compensate for lower rates out of Atlanta.
- There were a lot fewer reefer loads moving out of Grand Rapids, though it’s still in the top 5 for reefer load posts. Rates are trending down on most outbound lanes
- Long haul reefer freight from the West Coast trended down — for example, Ontario, CA to Chicago lost ▼14¢ to $1.64/mile
- Regional freight moving from Sacramento to Los Angeles paid less last week, down ▼16¢ to $2.16/mile, which is early for this direction to slip lower.
Trucking Success partners with DAT to offer a special on the TruckersEdge load board. Sign up for TruckersEdge today and get your first 30 days free by signing up at http://www.truckersedge.net/promo123 or entering “promo123” during sign up.